Thursday, June 30, 2011

Otniel Orphanage


My time at Otniel Orphanage has ended, and I'm so very sad to say goodbye. I learned so much just being there with dear friends and sweet kids. I've been wanting to post something new for a long time, but I couldn't find the words fit for a simple blog post. What the Lord teaches deep in my heart is often so hard for me to describe. In the coming weeks, hopefully I'll be able to unpack a lot of the Spiritual side of things that I've learned and wrestled with while I've been here.

I went to Otniel wanting to serve. I wanted to "help." However, God had different plans. He taught me, through those kids, what it really meant to serve, to work hard, and to be joyful in all things. Within those pink and blue painted walls, it was not an "orphanage" that needed some American girl to come "save the day." It was a family, in need of God's new graces for each day, just like everyone else. Most of the kids there are around 14-15 years old, with a few younger and older. Many have been there for 10 years together. I saw some of the pictures from when they first came to the house. All of them have grown and matured into much healthier and happier children than they were so long ago. Praise the Lord for renewed life!

Days started with breakfast (bread with butter, cucumbers, and cheese.. or cereal with milk fresh from the cow that morning), then a "nugget" from Scripture, a few songs, and then chore time. Chores were of course the least favorite, but they were completed with minimal complaining. ;) One of the main spiritual lessons I've learned so far in Romania is that God desires humble obedience over grand sacrifice, and He sees us when we do the seemingly "small" things. He delights in us when we joyfully wash dishes, sweep floors, and milk cows. ("Whether you eat or drink, do it ALL for the glory of the Lord..") After chores, if it wasn't a school day, it was time to play, watch a movie, or swim! I swam twice in their huge underground concrete pool.. Once on purpose, and once thanks to some "help" from the kids. ;) It was cold, deep, and occasionally you found yourself swimming next to a friendly "broască" (frog)! He would then kindly be asked to exit the pool (a.k.a.. captured and thrown into the field). :)

I became very close with a little boy named Darius, who graduated kindergarten AND turned six while I was there. I was so happy to celebrate him! He has only been at Otniel for a few months, and is the sweetest little toot ever. Naturally he ended up
in most of my pictures from the orphanage. :) You could hardly find me without him!



Darius wasn't the only new friend I made. There were several more that I loved to laugh and try to speak Romanian with. One 14-year-old boy that has been at Otniel a long time, gave me a very sweet gift as I was pulling out of Otniel for the last time. He ran up to my window and in Romanian said, "Don't forget me." Then, with a smile, he handed me his "WWJD" bracelet that he received as a prize for perfect attendance at their church group. This is just a small example of the generosity and joyfulness I saw in these precious ones! Of course I will never forget him, or any of the kids at Otniel.

Now, it's time for beddy-bye. ;) Tomorrow is an early morning and a long day of travel. Goodnight, world!

No comments:

Post a Comment