Monday, June 25, 2012

Little Aprons

Thursday, the girls and I had to hang around my apartment and wait for a special delivery (more on that later)... So to pass the time we made homemade play-dough! I remember being at my sister's house when I was younger and making home-made play-dough to give to my nieces and nephews as Christmas gifts. We put it in little baby food jars and wrapped it in ribbon. I don't know if they ever played with it, but I sure had fun making it! I hope these two little girls had as much fun as I did when I was little.



So, I wrapped them up in a couple of my aprons (they looked so cute) and we went to work! The recipe was so easy, I can remember it off the top of my head now.

1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Salt
2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1 Tbs. Oil
1 Cup Water
Optional - to make colorful playdough, use food dye!

Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan, and stir over low heat. Add the food coloring while the concoction is still semi-liquid-y, so that the color mixes in easier. We made a pink batch for Rowie and a blue batch for Ryan. They had so much fun taking turns adding the ingredients (with my help) and especially adding the color to the mixture!

This was a life-saver, when we really needed to take a break from the hot Texas sun and stay inside. It's been so fun to watch the little girls' brains working, coming up with new uses and ways to shape and mold the play-dough. It kept us entertained pretty much all day!

In other news, I got to Skype with my Mama and wonderful friend, Carol all the way from Romania! I miss my Mom so much, it made me so happy to see her face, even if it was through a computer screen. I'll get to see Carol's next week when she comes home, and I can't wait! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment